Friday, March 23, 2012

Stressors

I did not experience any of the stressors listed and was not or I am not aware of any of my family or friends experiencing any of those stressors. Although this is tough for me to share I will share a little and move on. I did experience sexual abuse by my grandfather from ages 3 to 12 until my parents found out. I think I survived because I had my immediate family that cared deeply for me and I had faith. The ramifications are I have poor body image, I am extremely modest, and I kept my feelings bottled up for years. I did get private counseling about a year and a half ago (I am 39) and received counseling through my church as well. I think sexual abuse happens all across the nation and in every country of the world. Cognitively I think the stress affected my learning. There
were times it was hard to concentrate in school. When the abuse stopped my love for school grew and my grades improved dramatically. As far as my psychosocial development it clouded my thoughts about family, trust, and even hindered my social skills. As part of my healing I had to tell my other immediate family members (my brothers) about the abuse because up until a year and a half ago it was a secret. In response both of my brothers (both police officers) said, “oh my gosh now I understand why you are the way you are.” 

In the United Sates there are laws against sexual abuse however many people still do not report or they handle it within the family. As educators of children and parents it is important to remember it is our job as mandated reporters to report any suspicion of abuse. We must educate as many people as possible to protect children!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Josie,
    I am deeply sorry for your terrible experience. Now that you are dealing with it emotionally, how did this experience help you as a parent or an educator? Are you more aware of the signs children show when there is abuse happening to them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Josie,

    I am really sorry for your experience. If I may ask, could you say that you already move on? I really adore, how you still could see the bright side of your live, while you were facing the situation in the past. I could never imagine, if it's happened to me. You mention about church activity, yes.. I agree, the spiritual value is one of our motives, why we still could see life positively.
    I also mentioned in the discussion last week about how important the spiritual value in early childhood development.

    Do you think that law and policy in United States could protect the children from any kind of abuse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Josie,

    I am sorry for what you went through. I hope that you continue to seek counciling and move beyond this traumatic experience as best you can. Unfortunately, many children are experiencing this type of abuse and most often it is by someone that is suppose to love and protect them. This makes it harder to detect and harder to report by the victims. I was wondering if you have children and if so, does it make you more apprehensive about letting your children be around family members?

    ReplyDelete