Sunday, February 17, 2013

Adjourning



This week you read about the five stages of team development: forming, storming, norming, performing, and adjourning. Consider the adjourning phase for several of the groups in which you have been involved. Think about which aspects of the groups made for the hardest good-bye. Are high-performing groups hardest to leave? Groups with the clearest established norms? Which of the groups that you participated in was hardest to leave? Why? What sorts of closing rituals have you experienced or wish you had experienced? How do you imagine that you will adjourn from the group of colleagues you have formed while working on your master's degree in this program? Why is adjourning an essential stage of teamwork?

The hardest group I have left was a dance company I was a part of for four years. We were like family. Our projects were performances. We were a strong group that had common goals. We leaned on each other daily. The hardest aspect of saying good-bye was we knew we would not see each other everyday. At the time there was no facebook or text messaging so our good-byes felt so final. 

I think the hardest good-byes are from groups that worked well together and accomplished the goals they intended to accomplish. If a group never gets past storming saying good-bye may be the best thing to do.

Closing experiences I have experienced are fair well parties or a get together. After working on a group project for church the ladies usually go out to dinner. At work we tend to have lunch or go to a local party such as a wine tasting (I hate wine J). My husband coaches and after a season we have a barbeque.

I do not see adjourning my master’s degree program with my colleagues from my program. I appreciate everyone but I am ready to complete and move on. I will celebrate with my family and work colleagues. My family has sacrificed for me to complete my education and I want to enjoy my accomplishment with them because without their support I could not have finished a mater’s degree.

Josie Zbaeren

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree, saying goodbye to those that we have formed relationships with is hard to do. I am thankful for social media and the ability that we now have to stay in touch, regardless of distance. I too am eagerly awaiting the end of our Masters journey. Taking time for myself, no matter what the purpose, is hard to do when you have a family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I agree we must stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Josie!

    Thank you so much for sharing all of your educational insights and stories throughout our course together! I learned so much from the experiences that you shared a long the way. Best of luck to you in your future courses here at Walden!

    Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete