Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Personal Childhood Web


Personal Childhood Web:

1. My number one support was and is my mom Jo McDaniel. She has always been there for me. She was involved in my education, she supported me as a dancer, and she attended all the events in my life. My mom taught me to respect others and myself. She put her family first always! She is a continued support as a fabulous grandma and my closest friend.

2. My dad, Jim McDaniel, was also a huge supporter of mine. I was the only girl in the family and my dad made me feel special by setting time aside just for me. He always picked out a special birthday gift for me on his own each year. I loved listening to his Elvis records in the morning and dancing around with him. He was a great leader of our family and lead by example. My dad died when I was 26 and I miss him greatly!

3 & 4. My grandparents Harris and Darylene Raleigh were my 3rd and 4th supports. My grandma took care of me after school when my mom worked, took me to dance class and was involved in my life on a daily basis. My grandparents took my two brothers and I on vacation in the summers to visit my mom’s sister. We would fly clear across the country with them and loved every minute with them. My grandfather died in 1992 and my grandmother 11 years later.

5. My brothers were also big supports. Although we had some sibling rivalry issues we always had each other’s backs. My brothers made me feel special by attending all of my recitals or events growing up. They would take me places, help me when I needed it and give me sound advice. They continue to be supports because they are supportive of me as an adult. Our families are close and our children love each other. We have family dinners, spend holidays together and support each other through life’s ups and downs. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Josie,

    Sounds like you have a pretty together family! I am curious to know how you felt about doing this assignment.

    Tory

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you lost your dad so young. That must have created a huge hole in your family web. I keep having nightmares and imagining what it will be like to loose my parents. Did that change you in any way? I mean in relations to how you interact with your family members and the people around you? Did that make you stronger to overcome a loss like this at such a young age?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Josie,

    I see that you too had a very loving and supportive family also. A good home environment with supportive family really makes a difference in a child's life, and the world also. I noticed that you all remain close throughout your adulthood. Adults also need support in their lives. Coming from a loving environment allows you to ba able to love and provide the same for the children whose lives we will become a part of in our future in early childhood. Creating an environment at school is just as important as the environment at home.I really enjoyed reading your childhood web.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Josie,

    My dad also picks out special cards for me for my birthday and Valentines day. He picks out the most beautiful blank cards and writes messages in them. I almost loss my dad last year and I can't imagine what loosing him must have been for you. I always wanted brothers to take me places and talk to. My dad was a mentor in a big mentor program and his two mentees, Donte and Dwayne, I looked at as brothers but it wasnt consistent. What a blessing to have active grandparents. Mine were around but becuase they lived so far away I did not get to spend alot of time with them. I bet your holidays are pretty interesting and full of everything with such a large family

    ReplyDelete