Friday, January 27, 2012

Week Four Quotes

Quotes:

President Clinton Quote: “We cannot build our own future without helping others to build theirs.”

In an article by Marcy Whitebook entitled No Single Ingredient she states, “a review of evidence for both K-12 and ECE reveals three key ingredients that contribute to effective teaching across all age spans: first preparation matters, second support matters, and third reward matters,” (2010).

Passion:

Louise Derman-Sparks (her passion)

“To make sure all children were taught in environments and ways that truly nurture their ability to grow and development to their fullest potential.”

Leticia Lara

“My passion has been evolving through the years. It’s an ongoing process.”

I like these two statements because I too want to help children grow to their fullest potential. I also want to continue to grow in my filed and keep the passion brewing.

Josie Zbaeren

2 comments:

  1. Hi Josie,
    In the quote from Marcy Whitebook, what do you think she means when she says "rewards matters"? Is it rewards for the students or the teachers? And what kind of rewards so you think she means?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,
    I was wondering the same thing in regards to "rewards". There are many discussions around rewards and what it currently looks like, what it should look like, and what is developmentally appropriate for young children. I feel many children have been "trained" to believe that doing your homework, behaving, going to school, etc. is due for a reward when in actuality it is their job/ duty.

    Josie,
    I love the quote you chose from Leticia Lara. I too, feel my passion is evolving and it is definitely a growing process. At times my passion for the field became almost nonexistent but it has blossomed again, this time to stay. As I learn more and am exposed to more I feel it growing. As I see progress in the field, I am renewed and refreshed. Lara's quote was honest which I believe is one of the great assets of people in the field of education. We are honest, reflective, and speak up.

    ReplyDelete