Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Relationship Reflection:

I have a lot of relationships that are important to me for example my relationship with my husband, daughters, parents, siblings, church family, close friends and co-workers. I value them all but in different ways.

My relationships with friends, church family, extended family and co-workers are important to me because they are a form of support. I appreciate the people in my life that care for me, respect me, and value my opinion.

The relationship with my husband will be the focus of this Blog. This relationship is so very important to me because Bill (my husband) is my partner in life. He loves me unconditionally. He is my biggest fan and strongest support. He is a fabulous spouse; father, brother, provider, worker, and role model. He is my best friend. I love him!

I have a positive relationship with Bill as well as our daughters Madeline, Emileigh, Olivia, Sophia, and Kiera. I also have positive relationships with extended family and friends. Our family is our priority and because we have committed ourselves to family first we have great relationships with our girls.

My husband and I have a positive relationship because we are supportive of each other, we are respectful of each other, and we share our hopes, dreams, and goals. We are effective communicators; problem solvers and we are responsible. We share the same faith and values. We are connected through our marriage but we are still individuals. We have positive relationships with our children because we are consistent, caring, and responsive, we listen, set boundaries, follow through, and love them always. We have modeled respectful behavior and our girls are respectful.

We have learned over time (Bill and I) to make time for us. We have learned to talk about the good and bad stuff in order to work through it. We have learned that we will fail at times and to ask for help from each other as we need it. We have learned that surprises keep things lively. We have learned to laugh! We have learned to let go of things not in our control. We have learned in order to grow we will face challenges. We have learned life is short so we need to grab opportunities that come our way.

The special characteristics of my relationship with Bill are the love, trust, companionship, support, sense of belonging and the list goes on...

Understanding that relationships are based on trust, listening, problem solving, compassion and hard work will help me be an effective early childhood professional because I will pass these attributes onto the children I serve as well as their families. I will treat them with respect, honor their individuality, listen to their concerns, support their progress and collaborate with them to meet their needs and help them reach their goals.

5 comments:

  1. Josie, Thank you for sharing about your relationships! Sounds like you are surrounded by lots of support. I am a strong believer in placing family first. I agree on your thoughts on building relationships based on "trust listening, problem solving, compassion and hard work"! I also agree that those attributes do get passed down to the children we work with. This post was a great introduction. I look forward to working together in this class :)

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Josie! Great post, you are truly blessed. There is a saying "you can't choose your family but, you can choose your friends" well it sounds like your family are your friends and that can be so special. I'm not married but, as you mentioned trust and listening are very important in any relationship. Listening has become a lost art, there are so many distractions that people often don't 'hear' you. It sounds like you and your family haven't lost the art of communicating. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait for your next post.

    -krystal
    edu6161

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josie,
    You are one blessed woman! It really does me good to see people who are so focused on their families. You seem to have a great support system and lots of dedication to accomplish your goals! Refreshing post! Thanks!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Josie,

    What a great love story. We all need the love and support of someone to make the day go better. Bring all of the lessons that you learn in building your personal relationships into your professional relationships gives you a edge. Continue to give love and it will always come back to you. You cannot go wrong with love and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree having a husband that supports you in your personal goals and loves you unconditionally is the key to a happy marriage. I see my husband as my "foundation" or "safe place" to develop my personal beliefs. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete