Monday, July 30, 2012

Sharing Web Resources (more about HCZ!) :)

The website for the Harlem Children’s Zone is so grand that I feel as though there is more to explore. This week I decided to see what job opportunities there are as well as the qualification requirements for the jobs at HCZ.  Through my research I noticed that there are quite a few job opportunities. I wanted to see if this particular program stood up to the higher expectations of education and followed the recommendation for equity in the field. Most jobs required a bachelor’s degree and those that did not preferred one.  All of the job descriptions expressed the need for positive instruction, experience, education, collaboration, and flexibility. I was impressed! There was not a pay scale on the website and none of the job descriptions listed anticipated pay.  I thought that information would also give me more information to HCZ commitment to equity in the field.
On the website searches are available under category. I did a general search to begin with and moved to early childhood education. Some of the titles for jobs were Program Director (Baby College), Parent Engagement Coordinator, Outreach worker, and Family Aide. Most of these positions also required a bachelor’s degree in ECE or related field. They too asked for experiences, excellent communication skills, and commitment to the mission HCZ.
Looking through the website and the expectations of the Harlem Children Zone I see a definite trend. I see them working towards meeting the standards for quality care and instruction. As we learned last week teacher qualifications matter. The outcomes for children are higher when teachers with bachelor’s degrees are teaching. I also see the HCZ working to set an example of quality care. They serve the child and the child’s family offering services beyond traditional education.
Josie Zbaeren

3 comments:

  1. Josie,
    We are on the same page! Literally! I did my Sharing Web Resources on the HCZ too! What an incredible website and organization! I was so impressed. I was lookin at the Path to Sustainability,and I hope you had the opportunity to look at it too. Great post!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to this website but after reading your blog, I'm interested! It sounds as if it's a great web resource for professionals. Are people able to work for the company from home using the internet or do they actually have to physically work there? By visiting the site myself, I learned that a lot of men and women come together to end the cycle of poverty. How wonderful! I also noticed they had many different programs, how exciting! That must be very helpful to a lot of parents. What are the benefits of the programs for children and families?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Josie, Glad to see the high standards in qualifications required by HCZ. This is really encouraging! It sounds like a great organization.

    ReplyDelete