Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The website I have chosen to explore is the Harlem’s Children Zone at http://hcz.org/home .
There are several sections on this website that are relevant to my current professional development however the one that tugged on my heart is “The Baby College”.  The website explains the baby college as, “a nine week parenting workshop to expectant parents and those raising children up to three years old,” (HCZ, 2012). The program focuses on reading and literacy for children 0-3 as well as proper discipline techniques (redirection). I am working on my education in early childhood education and in the future I would like to pass that knowledge onto others in the field and to parents.
The resource that I found the most news worthy is the concept of serving children from “cradle to college.” We have a lot of programs that aim at specific age groups for example 0-3, 3-5, or school-aged however I have not heard of any other program that serves children from 0-college. I think it is an amazing concept! I think that the Harlem’s Children Zone understands the sooner care or services begin the better and that the longer they are provided the better the outcomes. The website claims that, “90% of the children that graduate from the program go on to college,” (HCZ, 2012).
The website has media coverage on the changes it is making in the lives of children and families 100 blocks wide and long. Barack Obama talks of the baby college; the early education programs, the free medical program, food programs and afterschool education programs. He explains how excellent the Harlem Children’s Zone is and promises to place 20 more programs around the country funded partially by the government and encourages others to put forth the dollars needed to get the projects off the ground. This part of the website is controversial in a way because of the amount of money taxpayers will shell out. That being said it is newsworthy because if it happens it will change the lives of children and community members forever.
Other insights I gained from the website are the importance of covering a variety of issues with families beyond early education in the classroom. Serving children and families is more than learning about developmentally appropriate activities for children. The Harlem Children’s Zone offers classes, programs and information on obesity, asthma, drug and alcohol abuse, anger management and the list goes on.

6 comments:

  1. Josie,
    I love the way HCZ is all about promoting change and endeavoring to keep it that way! They are so motivated and it is a good example to our entire country! HCZ is concerned about the whole child and the whole family! It really does my heart good to see how sincerely they are persuing their goal!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the HCZ has a unbelievable program. They absolutely look at the whole child. They are the example others need to follow if we plan to make the economic of early childhood work. They are seeing the "payoff" for their dedication and hard work.

      Josie.

      Delete
  2. Josie, what a great concept, 0 to college. I have not come across that one yet. I will definitely be checking that out. I have really made families a part of my endeavor to consider the whole child in the last ten years as an early childhood professional. It has not been easy at times, but has most certainly made a difference in the quality of program I am a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josie, that is a good website to look at because it helps you with all kind of information on zero to college for children. I could not believe that the Harlem’s Children Zone percents was that high after I read about it. I cannot believe that many children finish up school and went to college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Promise Neighborhoods, based off of the HCZ model, is a current initiative of our President's. I learned about this from my facebook news feed from the Center for the Study of Social Policy. They shared a link (http://vimeo.com/31614132) that I found really inspirational. We can do it anywhere and should do it everywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Josie,
    This organization sounds really interesting. I like that they start with classes for expecting parents and address children all the way to college. It is also great that they address many different issues relevant to cildren of all ages. Delores

    ReplyDelete