Saturday, October 6, 2012

Research Around the World!


I looked at the Early Childhood Australia website. I was struggling to find a research focus and finally decided on the article The Swedish National Curriculum: Play and Learning with Fundamental Values in Focus. This article speaks about research on play in combination with values such as, “children’s rights, gender equity, and education for sustainable development,” (Ärlemalm-Hagsér &Sandberg, 2011).  The research piece that grabbed me is the power of play. It is not new news that play is powerful however this particular article gives insight on research that proves quality play has lasting effects. Children that participate and or are exposed to quality play create crucial foundations for educational building blocks for future school success.

 

While reviewing this website I started to understand that early childhood education is growing around the world not just in the U.S. I understand that we are all striving for best practice, new research practice, and insights on brain development.

I guess the noteworthy part of this website is it has a wealth of information and tips. The entire website is worth looking at. I read a little about childhood fears and nightmares. I learned a little about the patterns of dreams and nightmares, what causes them and some tips on helping children cope with them. I gained some new information.

Josie Zbaeren

Arlemalm-Hagser & Sandber, (2011). The Swedish National Curriculum: Play and learning with fundamental values in focus, Malardalen University Sweden, (36)1. Retrieved from
http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/

3 comments:

  1. Hello Josie,
    I also viewed the Australia website. I read about the misconceptions the EC teachers have about mathematics education for young children in the United States. One of the misconceptions talks about letting our children play instead of becoming an active part in learning and teaching the children. It has been interesting to see that we all meaning people across the world are looking at each other to come up with solutions to help our children be better students. Plus we all have to deal with politicians to make our nations better places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems the Australian website was very popular for this assignment. The early childhood field is making a move all over the world. Much of the reading I have done has me considering whether the United States is keeping up with the progress I am reading about from around the world. I guess the EC field is an area many of us would like the instant gratification of equity for all children right now. Advocating for change in the field is definitely a long process and I hope to see it change dramatically in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Josie, thanks for sharing what you learned from this website. I think it is important to realize that early childhood is a field where valuable research is taking place all over the world. It is important that we keep up with what is happening in the EC field in other countries so that we can learn from them and adopt strategies that might also work for us. Delores

    ReplyDelete