Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Learning About Communication Skills

The show I watched is Dance Mom's. I chose this television show because I have wanted to watch it but have not had the time. I love to dance!  

Watch the show with the sound turned off.

What do you think the characters' relationships are based on the ways in which they are communicating? I think that they appear mad at each other especially the instructor and the dance moms. There is a lot of pointing at each other, eye rolling, and standing way too close to each other. The children look at the instructor when they are active in the class however not when she is talking to them. They look down with slumped shoulders.

What are they feeling and expressing based on the nonverbal behavior you are observing? Again, they appear to be mad. The girls often look sad at the studio however while on stage they look as though they enjoy the dancing. They smile and change expressions as they move. Some smile after performances and others cry and hug other adults, which I assume are their parents.

Now, watch the show with the sound turned on.

What assumptions did you make about the characters and plot based on the ways in which you interpreted the communication you observed? My assumptions were somewhat right. The people on this show are angry a lot! The parents are unhappy with the way in which the teacher talks to their children. With that being said they continue to keep their children at her (Abby Lee) studio. The children are fierce competitors but fearful of disappointing their coach. They cry if they are not perfect in their performances. There is little fun connected to their hobby.

Would your assumptions have been more correct if you had been watching a show you know well? As I said some of my assumptions were right. The adults are mad but what I missed is how inappropriate they are. None of the adults are teaching the children anything great. I will not watch that show again!

Josie Zbaeren
 

5 comments:

  1. I would say that strong feelings such as anger and fear and unhappiness and easily read by most people. I have not watched the show but it sounds like terrible environment for a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never understood these type of shows, or how the parents can put their children through this kind of environment. Hearing that the children stand there "with slumped shoulders" indicates that they are having no fun at all, how sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Josie,
    I have never watched the show before, for all of the reasons that you listed, they look unhappy and they have lost the love of dance. I have seen the commercials and don’t understand why you would enroll your child in something that would not build her up and make her feel great about herself. Glad to know I am not missing anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josie,

    I have watched the show and the children's body language shows a lot. They look so unhappy but when their mother's want to pull them out they wont let them, because they love to dance. I think I will watch it without the sound just to see how much you can tell without hearing the comments.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josie,
    in your observation of this show the commnication is effective for producing winner for a competition, but it is damaging in laying ground work for esteem and sportsmanship like conduct.

    ReplyDelete