Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Family Culture

A description of the three items you would choose:

The three items I would take include a bible, my wedding band, and a small family photo. The bible represents me and my family as Christians, the wedding ring represents my love for my husband and the importance of our marriage in our family structure, and the photo represents the unity of our family.

 How you would explain to others what each of these items means to you?

I would describe the bible as a tool on how to live my life. The bible holds valuable information and stories from the past that teaches me how to act, react, love, care, and treat others. My wedding ring is a symbol of a promise I made to my husband to love, honor and cherish him and our relationship until death do us part. My wedding band includes diamonds from my engagement ring, my mother’s wedding ring, and my grandmother’s earnings from my grandfather. My ring is symbol of forever. Every man I love is represented in my ring and every loving model of marriage I was shown as a child is represented in my ring. I love it! The family picture represents the people I love the most in the world. 

Your feelings if, upon arrival, you were told that you could only keep one personal item and have to give up the other two items you brought with you.

I would feel sad, disappointed, and hurt. I would want to know why. I may even feel angry. I would give up the ring and the picture if I had to but I would not want to.

 Any insights you gained about yourself, your family culture, diversity, and/or cultural differences in general, as a result of this exercise?

The insights I gained about myself is what I feel really matters. I know I want to have a bible with me now and forever. I learned it was not difficult to know what three items I would choose however very difficult to choose between the items.

Josie

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Josie. It is interesting how a simple exercise make you think about what we value in life. I can only think of photos!

    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josie,
    Funny how you, Cortnee and I selected almost the same things! It would be very difficult to choose and as I told Cortnee, my bible would win though! Hands down! I could do w/o the rest, but I really don't think I could do w/o my bible!
    This exercise was truly an eye opener, wasn't it? Wow! I cannot imagine what it feels like to be swallowed up by a dominant culture!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete