Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

This week I have heard several micro-aggressions. I had my church friends over last night for bunco. Some ladies were signing (being silly) and the song said "gay" in it. One of the ladies mentioned that, “We can no longer use the word gay." Another person replied, "Unless you are wearing pointed shoes and flipped her hand down." I thought the comment was inappropriate and a micro-assault.

The second micro-aggression I heard was while we were changing tables at bunco. A lady said, "where did you get this card table and chairs I think they were made for Asian people they are so little?" Again the comments were insulting.

The third micro-aggression was today from a college student. She was talking about her sister’s basketball game and made the comment about the black girl on the team being really black. I called her out on it and she said, "What I was not being rude I like, it is cool."  

The words of the ladies did not make me mad but I was taken back. I know these ladies and for the most part they are kind, loving people however they are obviously greatly unaware of the effects of their words. I knew I could approach them on the subject of micro-aggressions. I pointed out how their words are a form of racism. It ended up being great conversation. I think they learned a little and I felt good telling them what I have learned. This exercise helped me and others understand how easy it is for us to ignore or unintentionally insult people different then we are

3 comments:

  1. You are brave to approach the subject and point out that their comments were prejudiced. It is easier to ignore the behavior or comments and not say anything. Most people may opt to do that if the comment is not about them. Easier but not right...

    Thanks for your examples.

    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were with a group of ladies that you felt comfortable enough to discuss the topic with. Hopefully everyone learned from the experience and will be more careful of how they say things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josie,
    I am so proud of you for calling them on it! I was just commenting to Cortnee that I felt so helpless because I didn't know what to do! Give me your scenario of what I should have done in Walmart! If you have the time, read my blog and let me know!
    Thanks,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete