Saturday, December 8, 2012

Perosnal Side of Bias

I remember as a child watching the show Different Strokes. This show was about a white family (man and daughter) that adopted two black boys. A guy friend asked the daughter to a dance. He was a racist. She tested him by coloring her skin black like her brothers to see if he would still take her to the dance. He did not take her because he did not want to take a black girl.

He did not look at people of color as equal to him. At the time I did not feel much however it did bring up conversations in our family. It was a time of learning. We are equal regardless of skin color. In this incident the boy would need to change in order for equity to occur.

Josie Zbaeren

4 comments:

  1. Hello Josie,

    As children we usually don't look any further than what the show wants us to see. I guess that everyone learned a lesson from that show; you would be surprised by the number of people that hide their prejudices or biases. It was good that the show showed people how to love one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josie,
    Obviously this t.v. show made an impact on you! What do you think about it now? This is my pet peeve! We are all of one race! HUMAN!
    Thanks for letting me vent!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josie- I appreciate that you could relate to that show. I remember the show well, and believe that in it's own way helped some people look at differences. One of my favorite shows as a young child was the Cosby Show. That show demonstrated to many young children regardless of background that African Americans could be successful. I believe that they show really played an intergral role in my generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that particular show and that is a good example of prejudice that goes on in society. I believe that with the heip of the show its showed people how someone really feel when they are on the other side of been turned down because of the color of their skin.

    ReplyDelete